Fire Safety Guide – Fire Protection Tips, Fire Products To Use & Escape Plan
Homeowners in Brisbane consider fire protection as one of the essential parts of safety and security. For home fire safety, homeowners should consider ways to prevent the fire and plan an emergency escape route.
Everyone in the household should be well aware of the escape route and safety plans in case of a fire emergency. Additionally, removing hazards can limit the risk of fire in your home.
This guide highlights a few essential tips to prevent a home fire, must-have fire products, and understand the basic escape plan for fire emergencies.
Fire Protections Tips For Home?
According to home fire statistics, Australia reported 17,915 accidental residential fire incidents between the year 2019-2020. A home fire can occur due to a variety of reasons, but only a few are preventable.
Unattended cooking fires, electrical malfunction, heating equipment, smoking material, and intentional fires are a few causes of home fires and household fire injuries. With the right approach and plan, such home fires can be prevented.
Here are some of the steps to reduce the risk of home fire and household fire injuries.
- Avoid leaving your food cooking unattended, especially if you are working with deep fryers and other frying equipment.
- Install and maintain a functional smoke alarm on every floor of your home and inside bedrooms.
- Avoid using portable or fixed space heaters.
- Always be prepared with a fire protection plan. The plan should be such that it allows you to get out of your home in less than two minutes. Make sure you execute and practice the fire escape plan frequently.
- For safety, avoid smoking in the house.
5 Helpful Fire Safety Products You Must Own
Apart from following the necessary steps to avoid home fire, you must have the essential equipment to prevent the fire from getting out of hand. Here are five helpful fire safety products every homeowner should have:
1. Fire Extinguishers
Install a well-maintained fire extinguisher in your kitchen, floors, and near bedrooms.
2. Fire Blanket
Fire blankets are used to extinguish the chip-pan fire. Such fire products can reduce or limit flame spread.
3. Smoke Detectors
Smoke detectors should be installed in your kitchen at least 10 feet away from any cooking appliance to minimise false alarms. Apart from the kitchen, you should also install smoke alarms on your basements.
4. Home Fire Sprinklers
Home fire sprinklers can activate automatically upon detecting fire. Such fire products can significantly reduce flames and heat. Make sure you install such home fire sprinkler systems in your home.
5. Fire Escape Ladders
Fire escape ladders are essential for people living in buildings with more than one level. Using fire escape ladders can help you quickly and safely escape from the fire.
We provide comprehensive fire protection services in Brisbane including installation and service of a wide range of fire safety products.
Create a Basics Fire Escape Plan
- Always include two ways out of every room in your escape plan.
- Discuss with your family about the designated location to meet outside in case of fire.
- Check whether the installed smoke alarms provide you with early detection and warning, giving you enough time to escape.
- Make sure all the doors leading out of the building can be opened from the inside.
- Assist any disabled or elderly residents.
- Conduct a quick roll call to check whether everyone has escaped the building.
- Don’t re-enter the building unless notified by the fire department.
- Practice the plan occasionally
If you require any assistance with fire services in the Gold Coast or Brisbane, get in touch with us. We specialise in fire equipment and fire protection services in Brisbane and the Gold Coast. To know more about our services, call us on 07 3390 6055 today!